Tourism in the
The province of Cañar has 217,000 inhabitants, 80,000 urban and 137,000 rural.
The 3,123 square kilometers of surface are divided into 7 cantons.
The capital Azogues is to the south of the province.
The word Cañar comes from the Inca - Cañari culture and in the province there are many testimonies of said culture.
The province of Cañar is famous for its handicrafts, toquilla straw hats, its ceramics, and its liquors made from sugar cane.
The province of Cañar was formalized on November 25, 1825.
Other cities and sites
MUNICIPALITIES / CANTONS
- Azogues, the capital of the Cañar province is to the south of it. Azogues has 32,000 inhabitants.
- Biblián is known for its Sanctuary of the Grotto of the Virgen del Rocío.
- In Biblián there is the famous Sanctuary of the Grotto of the Virgen del Rocío, of surprising beauty. The rock-hewn Cathedral is built on top of a hill with uneven slopes.
- Cañar is in the center of the Cañar province. from here you can visit the ruins of Ingapirca.
OTHER INTERESTING SITES
- The ruins of ingapirca are at an archaeological level perhaps the most important in Ecuador.
- It is an authentically Inca construction, made at the beginning of the 16th century AD, and could have been an observatory for the sun and the moon shortly before the arrival of the Spanish in that area. The set of archaeological remains of Ingapirca has been recorded by the outside world at least since the mid-18th century, although there are references to the place where these buildings are located -- Cañar Valley -- since the 16th century, when it was known as the province of Hatun Cañar (Quichua: Hatun Kañar), which means "the great place of the Cañar".
- La Toncal is located in the west of the Cañar province.
- El Tambo is in the center of the province near Cañar. From here you can visit the ruins of Ingapirca.
- The Tambo owes its name to the fact that in Inca times "Tambos" were called resting places or stops on long trips to somewhere. It is a small town that has a well-restored church, with various pieces of religious art.
- Déleg is located in the south of the province near Azogues.
- Déleg is the oldest parish, and the beautiful bell tower of its church corresponds to the colonial era.