The City of Cotacachi lies between Otavalo and Ibarra in the county of Imbabura.
The canton Santa Ana of Cotacachi has a surface of 1.809 km2 and 38.000 inhabitants. July 6 1.861 Cotacachi became Canton.
Cotacachi is known for its handicrafts in leather and wool.
The canton Cotacachi also has an agricultural production, especially of milk products, and is exporting flowers and asparaguses.
From Cotacachi you can get to the Lagoon Cuicocha which is located in the skirt of the volcano Cotacachi (4.944 m) in the Ecological Reserve Cotacachi - Cayapas.
OTHER INTERESTING SITES
- The handycraft market of Otavalo makes famos this little town in Imbabura. The bigger market is every Saturday, but you can visit this indigenous market every day of the week.
- The waterfall "Cascada de Peguche" is located at ten minutes to the north of Otavalo and is one of the natural and espiritual scenes of the zone.
- San Miguel de Ibarra, the "White City", is the capital of the province of Imbabura. Ibarra is known for its handycrafts in wood and lether, its "arrope de mora" (blackberry syrup) and its "helados de paila (homemade icecream).
- The city and the district of Cayambe together with the Nevado Cayambe are worth visiting.
- Guayllabamba is famous for its "Zoo of Quito". Guayllabamba lies between Cayambe and Quito.
- The Cayambe Coca Ecologic Reservate has access from the town of Cayambe. The Reservate has a surface of 403.103 ha including the Navado Cayambe.
- The Reserva Ecológica Cotacachi Cayapas has an access from the town of Cotacachi. The Reservate has a surface of 204.420 ha.
Provincia de Imbabura
Participación Ciudadana Cotacachi
Tourism in other cities and sites