PLACES TO VISIT
- The Otavalo fair is one of the most important in Ecuador. Wool and cattail handicrafts.
- The Peguche Waterfall is located ten minutes from Otavalo and is one of the natural and spiritual scenes in the area.
- San Miguel de Ibarra, the white city, is the head of the Imbabura province.
- Ibarra and Imbabura are known for their high quality crafts. In Ibarra we work in iron and wood.
- Culinary specialties include, among others, fries, blackberry syrup and quimbolitos.
Ibarra has a population of 135,000 inhabitants, and is the 15th most populous city in the country.
Ibarra has an average temperature of 16 ° C, and a dry temperate climate with influences from the arid subtropical climate of the Andean highlands.
Typical foods are the hornado, the llapingachos, which are potato tortillas with chorizo, the fried with corn and cheese, empanadas de viento.
One of the typical drinks is chapo, which is made using machica, which is a mixture of flour with panela barley and milk.
Other delights are paila ice cream, previously made with ice from the mountains, the walnuts a sweet walnut, Humitas, quimbolitos and muchines.
Ibarra is offered as a center for excursions or trips to tourist attractions such as Otavalo, Cotacachi, Cayambe and Atuntaqui. From the Ibarra obelisk, you can take a trip with the Freedom Train to the Salinas parish, which descends from the temperate zone of 2,225 masl to the warm valley of 1,600 masl.
- Santa Ana de Cotacachi is known for its leather crafts. There is an interesting culinary offer. Cotacachi deserves to be known also for its proximity to the Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve with the famous Laguana de Cuycocha.
- Pimampiro offers a rest in nature with many lagoons, rivers and forests.
Other destinies, cities y sites
- Sitting on the Pucara de Curiloma hill, close to the City of Otavalo, at 2,800 meters above sea level, is the Parque Cóndor. The bird of prey shelter offers a space for environmental education, and offers free flight exhibitions for birds from 11:30 to 16:30. Attention Hours: Tuesday to Sunday and Holidays from 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- The city and canton Cayambe together with the Nevado Cayambe.
- Guayllabamba is famous from the "Quito Zoo". Guayllabamba is between Cayambe and Quito.
- The Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve is accessible from Cayambe city. The Reserve has an area of 403,103 ha including the Navado Cayambe.
- The Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve is accessible from the Cotacachi city. The Reserve has an area of 204,420 ha.
Gobierno Provincial Imbabura
Tel: (593) 06-2955832
Cámara Provincial de Turismo CAPTI
Tel: (593) 06-2642531
- San Miguel de Urcuquí has a warm climate and is home to the city of knowledge Yachay.
- Santa Marta de Atuntaqui, is cantonal head of Cantón Antonio Ante. Traditionally it is a canton of textile and agricultural production. Known are the straw hat crafts. One of the culinary offerings is paila ice cream and fries with corn and beans.
OTHER INTERESTING SITES
- Imbabura has more than 20 beautiful lagoons, one of the best known is the San Pablo lagoon near Otavalo; near Ibarra the Yahuarcocha lagoon; The Cuicocha lagoon near Cotacachi